What Does a Change Manager Do?
A Change Manager fulfills multiple change management roles including communications, training, stakeholder engagement, change impact assessment, organizational readiness analysis, coaching, resistance management and change reinforcement.
The primary job role for an Organizational Change Management Lead or Change Manager is to design, develop, implement and manage change deliverables that will enable impacted users to successfully transition from their current state to a future state state.
Senior Change Manager Role
A Senior Change Manager is often someone with an extensive level of change management experience, and is responsible for leading all aspect of a change management program.
He or she engages with senior leadership and executives to gain buy-in, and in some cases, a Senior Change Manager will also manage other change management practitioners.
A Senior Change Management manager generally has a minimum of 7-10 of experience in implementing change management principles, tools, models and processes to increase the success of change programs.
What Does a Change Management Consultant Do?
A change manager is often a full-time employee of an organization. But what if the individual is a contractor or part of a consulting firm? In this case, what will be the key roles and responsibilities of a change management consultant?
A change management consultant plays a key role as part of the transformational team and works with project managers, SMEs, program leads, and key sponsors to implement change management best practices and consulting methods and will be focused on leading the people side of change for the transformation initiative.
The Change Manager (consultant) will work to drive higher proficiency and faster adoption of changes impacting internal and external audiences to ensure optimal results are achieved.
They will play a key role in ensuring and driving critical activities (change initiatives) to meet business and program objectives.
This role focuses on moving impacted audiences from the current business state to the desired future state as quickly and efficiently as possible, including: changes to business processes, systems and technology, job roles, organization structures, and enablement.
While the Organizational Change Management Consultant may not have supervisory responsibility, this person will be required to work with many others cross functionally to succeed.
Key Roles & Responsibilities: Change Managers and Change Enablement Managers:
- Develop a set of actionable and targeted change management deliverables
- Stakeholder assessment, impacted assessment, and change management plan including communication and training plan
- Apply a structured methodology and lead change management activities
- Assess the change impact
- Complete change management assessments
- Create change management strategy
- Identify, analyze, prepare risk mitigation tactics
- Identify and manage anticipated resistance
- Consult and coach project teams
- Create actionable deliverables for the five change management levers: communications plan, sponsor roadmap, coaching plan, training plan, resistance management plan
- Coach managers and supervisors
- Support organizational design and definition of roles and responsibilities
- Coordinate efforts with other specialists
- Support communication efforts
- Support training efforts
- Support and engage senior leaders
- Integrate change management activities into project plan
- Evaluate and ensure user readiness
- Prepare the impacted audience to execute their job successfully in the new environment by building required knowledge and skills
- Work with change management team to integrate change management activities into overall project plans
- Identify and align the audiences impacted by the integration and changes
- Identify and articulate the change and impact of the change from a people, process, policy, and systems perspective across stakeholders
- Ensure that information is communicated to impacted audiences throughout the duration of the program
- Manage stakeholders
- Track and report issues
- Define and measure success metrics and monitor change progress
- Support change management at the organizational level, Enterprise Change Management
- Manage the portfolio and change load
Change Managers and Enablement Managers Skills and Qualifications
- A solid understanding of how people go through change and the change process
- A successful, proven track record with large-scale organizational change efforts
- Demonstrated leadership and pro-active thinking
- Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle
- Strategic and tactical thinking, with focused attention on details, results and execution
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with team members
- Orchestrate organizational adoption of new processes requiring behavioral and cultural change
- Excellent written communication and training development skills
- Excellent communication, influencing, and organization skills supported by strong problem solving, conflict resolution, and decision making skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work effectively at all levels in an organization and have the ability to present to executive management
- Must be a team player and able to work with and through others
- Ability to clearly articulate messages to a variety of audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships
- Forward-looking with a holistic approach Organized with a natural inclination for planning strategy and tactics Problem solving and root cause identification skills
- Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization Must be a team player and able to work collaboratively with and through others Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges
- Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle
- Experience with large-scale organizational change efforts Change management certification or designation – Prosci Certification preferred.
- Ability to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal
- Can work autonomously while maintaining results driven objectives
- Experience with managing project teams with complex multi-project deliverables simultaneously
- Understanding of and experience transforming Customer Experience are strongly preferred
- Experience and knowledge of change management principles and methodologies (example: Kotter methodology, Prosci, with ADKAR)
- Communication expertise
- Change Management Professional certification such as Prosci / Kotter 8 Step Model
- Membership in Association of Change Management Professionals is often desired
- Expertise in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Self-motivated and proactive with excellent problem solving, critical thinking and team / collaboration skills
- BA or BS degree required; Masters sometimes preferred
If you have any questions or feedback about this article on what Change Managers do, click here and let us know: Contact Airiodion Global Services today.
Author: Ogbe Airiodion | Senior Change Management Lead (Consultant). I am always excited to connect with fellow change management, project and program management practitioners. My goal for this website to grow it into the industry standard for best change management and project management practices, approaches, methodologies, templates, and tools. Connect with me on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/airiodion/ For questions or comments, you can also click here to contact Ogbe Airiodion. Can Ogbe increase the success of changes or projects within your firm, using effective change management practices? Click here to find out today: How Ogbe Helps Companies Increase Their Organizational Change Successes. Airiodion Global Services (AGS) Content on Airiodion Global Services (AGS)'s website is copyrighted. Please review Airiodion Global Services' Terms & Privacy Policies for additional details. Contact Airiodion Global Services today if you have any questions, feedback or input.
Author: Ogbe Airiodion | Senior Change Management Lead (Consultant).
I am always excited to connect with fellow change management, project and program management practitioners. My goal for this website to grow it into the industry standard for best change management and project management practices, approaches, methodologies, templates, and tools.
Connect with me on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/airiodion/
For questions or comments, you can also click here to contact Ogbe Airiodion.
Can Ogbe increase the success of changes or projects within your firm, using effective change management practices? Click here to find out today: How Ogbe Helps Companies Increase Their Organizational Change Successes.
Airiodion Global Services (AGS)
Content on Airiodion Global Services (AGS)'s website is copyrighted. Please review Airiodion Global Services' Terms & Privacy Policies for additional details.
Contact Airiodion Global Services today if you have any questions, feedback or input.
External image attributes/sources: https://pixabay.com/illustrations/consulting-training-learn-knowledge-2045471/, https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-wearing-gray-blazer-writing-on-dry-erase-board-1181534/, https://pixabay.com/photos/african-descent-american-analyzing-3472462/