The Best Project Manager Resume Keywords and Skills to Include in Your CV
What should a project manager put on his or her resume? What skills are needed for a program manager to increase the chances of their PM resume being selected? What are the skills every project manager’s CV should include? These are all great questions, but first, let’s discuss something that most people don’t know.
What many project and program manager job seekers don’t realize is that about 80%-90% of project management resumes and CVs are rejected before they are even seen by human eyes.
And even when it is seen by an actual person (for example, a hiring manager, recruiter, head hunter, etc.), it is often rejected due to the various factors explained below in this program manager coaching article.
Before your project manager resume or program manager CV is seen by a live person, it often must pass muster with what is known as an applicant tracking system (ATS) bot or an ATS spider that crawls databases of resumes seeking specific project management keywords and pre-determined program manager skills.
So, how can a project manager resume get past the resume review bots? And when it does, how can you ensure that your resume won’t be immediately discarded by a recruiter or hiring manager after they review it? What skills should a program manager put on a resume to increase the success of their resume getting seen by humans? What are the best “must-have” project management buzzwords and keywords to include in your resume? What is the best visualization structure to use for your resume?
Read on for answers to all of your questions on best resume keywords for project managers, and if you want us to review and enhance your resume, click here to learn more: Review & Optimize My Resume.
Best Project Manager Resume Keywords and Skill Sets That “Resume Review Bots” Scan For
Over 90% of large organizations use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) to analyze project manager resumes and CVs to identify the first batch of project management candidates that best match the position they are looking to fill.
Unfortunately, the resumes for really qualified PM applicants are often rejected by these resume scanning software because a lot of qualified project managers are not doing a good job in integrating the right keywords onto their resumes.
This article provides everything you need to know about which keywords, skills, and buzz words to include in your program/project manager resume, as well as what you can do to optimize your resume to ensure that it reaches an actual human recruiter, as well as the hiring manager.
If you want us to review and enhance your resume, click here to learn more: Review & Optimize My Resume.
Best Examples and Keywords for Project Manager Resumes
Examples of top keywords to use in your project or program manager resume are listed below. Please note that you DON’T need to include each and every single one of these keywords in your program management manager resume.
These keywords are provided as examples, so you can review and decide which ones are missing on your project management CV.
Also, note that this list is not a comprehensive list. Review the sections below for additional program manager resume keywords and phrases examples that you can integrate into your own resume.
To jump below to see how we’ve integrated some of these project manager resume buzzwords into sentences and bullet point phrases, click here: How to Integrate Buzzwords into Your Resume.
The list below is applicable to ALL project and program managers. However, if you are an IT Project Manager, then you should also review this section: Sample IT Project Manager Resume Keywords.
List of Project Resume Keywords (A-C):
- Assessing outcomes
- Assessing progress
- Attention to detail
- Business Alignment
- Business analysis
- Business Process Improvement
- Capacity planning
- Change management
- Conflict resolution
- Change impact assessment
- Current state assessment
- Current state-gap analysis
- Current vs future state gap analysis
List of Program Resume Keywords (D-I):
- Data analysis
- Data analysis & design
- Data modeling
- Deployment management
- Development & testing
- Due diligence
- Disaster Recovery
- Executing plans
- Execution metrics
- Financial analysis
- Future state assessment
- Future state design
- Gap analysis
- Great interpersonal skills
- Great verbal communication
- Great written communication
- Impact assessment
- Integration planning
Don’t Miss: How to Integrate These PM Buzzwords into Your Resume.
List of PM Resume Keywords (K-P):
- Leadership engagement
- Manage meetings
- Managing client expectations
- Managing conflicts
- Managing IT system development and implementation
- Managing relationships with key partners
- Managing vendors
- Meeting deadlines
- Microsoft Excel
- MS Project
- Problem solving
- Process development
- Process improvement
- Project coordination
List of Program Management Resume Keywords (P-W):
- Project implementation
- Project initialization
- Project management
- Project planning
- Project reporting
- Program risk assessment
- Program risk mitigation
- Program management risk mitigation
- PMI / PMP
- Quality control
- Quality methods
- Release planning
- Release scheduling
- Reporting on the status of projects
- Resolved project conflicts
- Risk assessment
- Risk management
- Stakeholder management
- Scope Management
- Solution development
- Software Development
- Status updates
- Strategic planning
- Target state
- Technical requirements gathering
Don’t Miss: How to Integrate These PM Buzzwords into Your Resume.
How Should a Project Manager’s Resume Be Structured?
A project manager’s resume should include an overview section, an education and certification section, an experienced section and also an “other” section which often includes buzzwords like Excel, PowerPoint, Jive, SharePoint, Microsoft Project, and any other tools and platforms that you’ve worked with in the past.
Every little bit helps when it comes to integrating buzzwords into your CV.
Integrating Project Management Resume Skills, Keywords and Phrases into Your Resume – All Project/Program Managers (IT PM, Business PM, SDLC PM, Infrastructure PM, Operations PM, etc.)
Examples of top project management skills and keywords to put on your resume have been integrated into phrases below. The keywords within the sentences are highlighted in bold font.
The goal with these keyword examples and phrases is to show you how project management keywords can be used in a resume so that they flow naturally.
- Collaborated with subject matter experts to update processes and procedures
- Worked with all stakeholders and senior leadership to rapidly develop multi-prong implementation project plans
- Successfully managed and coordinated with all stakeholders, across the enterprise, and across regions to ensure that project deliverables were delivered on time
- Developed, maintained, and tracked project management plans and schedule. Socialized with program sponsors and firm leaders to ensure leadership engagement
- Strong expertise in applying flexible change management deliverables, including training, communications, and stakeholder engagement to increase end-user adoption of project implementation
- Provided regular status updates to C-suite executives to ensure effective dissemination of project information
- Successfully implemented the various project phases, including planning, build, UAT/testing, Go-Live deployment, and normalization
- Collaborated with impacted departments and SMEs to conduct a current state assessment, develop a target state solution and perform a gap analysis for the project
- Conducted a current state vs. target state gap analysis for the project
- Managed and successfully rolled-out the target state
- Coordinated and scheduled joint discovery sessions with over 300 subject matter experts across the enterprise
- Partnered with the firm’s Risk Manager to build out a Compliance program
- Managed six project workstreams and analyzed the firm’s enterprise-wide operating structure
- Developed a comprehensive audit framework to perform current vs. future state gap analysis
- Designed and delivered deployment project plans for a target state Shared Service function
- Established strategies to maintain effective communications with all key stakeholders
- Assessed the firm’s global banking and onboarding program
- Investigated and identified key regulatory, operational, and processing gaps
- Collaborated with Ops, Finance, and other stakeholders to develop remediation plans
- Designed and delivered a target state operating model
- Facilitated steering committee and working sessions, plus provided regular updates to senior executives
- Responsible for taking small to large, company-wide, mission-critical programs/projects from original concept through final implementation
- Ensured adherence to product processes, quality standards, and deliverables
- Provided overall communication and interfaced with all areas affected by the program/project including cross-functional stakeholders, business sponsors, and vendors
- Developed detailed program/project execution plan and managed all implementation processes including resource allocation, progress tracking, monitoring change control process, testing, documentation, training and on-time delivery within budget constraints
- Proven experience in managing multiple large programs/projects in an enterprise environment delivering enterprise software products
- Personable and well-proven experience working well with all groups including business, operations, and technical organizations
- Solid experience in decision making and negotiations
- Excellent communication, problem solving, conflict / resolution management, active listening, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated consistent ability to lead cross-functional teams and deliver technical solutions while mitigating or removing hurdles / obstacles
- Familiarity with a fast-paced project execution environment; a mix of Agile and Waterfall
- Managed program risks and issues, as well as changes to projects plans and deliverables
Sample IT Project Manager Resume Keywords
For business PMs, but especially for IT project or technical program managers, some top keywords to include in your resume include:
- Application Development
- Conflict resolutions
- IT Service Management
- Information Security
- Information Technology
- IT Project Manager
- IT program management
- Large-scale projects
- Personable and proven experience working with both business, operations, and technical organizations
- Management and tracking of project progress against the project plan
- Managing software/IT/security projects
- Mid-to-large-scale project implementation
>>> See Also: How to Integrate These IT PM Buzzwords into Your Resume.
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner
- PMP certification
- Resolving conflicts
- Scrum Master
- SDLC: Requirements Gathering, Analysis, Planning, Design, Build, Test, Deploy, and Maintain
- Software development
- System testing
- Technical program management
- Technical Project Manager
- Understanding of software development, build, test, test automation
- Understanding of all phases of SDLC from coding to deployment
Where Should You Post Your PM CV or PM Resume?
However, in addition to posting your project manager CV online, it is essential to maintain a professional profile on sites like LinkedIn. This is important because LinkedIn is becoming the go-to place for recruiters to find project managers. LinkedIn’s job-posting platform now rivals Monster.com
According to a Forbes article, “Companies are spending their recruiting budget on LinkedIn licenses rather than on Monster licenses.”
So, when developing your project manager resume or building your professional social media profile, remember to include some of these key project manager keywords on your online profiles to improve your chances of being discovered by recruiters and headhunters.
Additional Information on ATS Automated Resume Search Tools
Using an automated tool, a recruiter or hiring managers enters specific project management keywords for the project manager resumes they would like to see. The automated ATS bot tool then crawls through thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of resumes using the specific project manager terms.
It then aggregates those project manager resumes that best match the entered project management search terms and submits these resumes to the recruiter. The recruiter then performs additional reviews and narrows down the selection using a more streamlined and predetermined list of project management buzzwords.
Adding some of the best project management resume keywords and skill sets provided in the examples above will help increase the chances that your resume / CV will be selected by the bots and sent to the hiring manager for additional resume, and hopefully an interview.
Click below to Airiodion Global Services know if you have any questions about the information provided in this “best keywords to include in a project manager resume” article.
Also, if there are other major keywords that you strongly believe should be included on this list, kindly let us know.
Contact Airiodion Global Services (AGS) today.
Author: Ogbe Airiodion (Senior Change Management Leader and Founder of AGS).
Note: Content on Airiodion Global Services (AGS)'s Airiodion.com website is copyrighted. If you have questions, comments, or tips about this Airiodion Global Services content, please contact Airiodion Global Services today.
External Image Sources/Attributes: https://pixabay.com/illustrations/robot-model-manufacturing-4363354/, https://www.pexels.com/photo/codes-on-a-screen-1936299/, https://pixabay.com/illustrations/job-search-hr-cv-opportunity-3681036/, https://pixabay.com/photos/cv-flowchart-whiteboard-white-2578872/, https://www.pexels.com/photo/people-gathering-inside-room-1345085/